WineTrails Gift Basket -- Sound Easy?
November 27, 2010Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. I naively thought having a little ol' wine related gift basket business would be cake. After all, if one could run around the NW visiting hundreds of wineries and live to write about it, what could be so difficult about starting a wine gift basket venture?
First, you need a license...a special license that grants you permission to purchase wine (and beer) at wholesale and then ship it around the U.S. Think 50 pages of forms to complete followed by a public comment and with a little luck you get a license in the mail. Next, we needed the contents -- not the schlocky crap but rather gourmet treat from the NW and premium quality wine. Sounds easy enough but budget a whole day (or two in my case) to visiting the Pacific Market Center in Seattle where as a wholesale buyer you have the opportunity to cruise through a gazillion showrooms sampling amazing chocolates, biscuits, smoked salmon, cheese balls, you name it. It is exhausting!
Now comes the time to assemble the gift baskets for shipment. That's an art all unto itself. Folks get paid big bucks to design the Martha Stewart packages. Fortunately, I can tap into friends and family for advice on that front.
Now I have perhaps the hardest part -- getting stellar photo shots of the baskets for the WineTrails website. After all, there is an art to "food porn" and those shots of wine bottles and scrumptious goodies require a skilled photographer with top end equipment. Well, in a budget-tightening move, this WineTrails dude is attempting to shoot the product shots himself...in my basement...with tripod and brilliant lights to boot.
So realistically, I won't likely have the WineTrails Gift Basket business up and running much before Christmas. It will be a sprint and it will likely happen before Santa comes down the chimney but it will be close. Maybe I should have set my sights on Valentine’s Day instead. Oh well, stay tuned. This is going to happen and I think at the end of the day, we'll add something to the Wine culture mix.
- Book Signing at Garfield Books --PLU
- WineTrails of WA -- 2nd Edition to printer!
- Brian Cantwell Nails Washington Wine Country
- Beyond Tuscany's Hilltop Towns
- Does anyone know where to buy Croatian wine?
- WineTrails of Washington App Ready for Android
- Wine Notes for your listening pleasure
- Shoot, here I thought I'd live forever
- Washington App Nears Launch
- What is the WineTrails guy doing?
- 2011 Sun Valley Wine Auction Gets Big Boost
- Register to get free newsletter!
- Amy Mumma at URBAN Enoteca -- Save the Date!
- 2012 Italy Tour Itinerary and Cost
- Good time at Coyotes in Caldwell!
- Walla Walla -- The App!
- Wine Country goes URBAN
- Sign up for Newsletter
- An Open Letter to Washington State Wineries
- Woodinville Revisited
- Happy Holidays to All!
- E.B. Foote For Sale
- Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Urban Enoteca
- WineTrails Gift Basket -- Sound Easy?
- Walla Walla Revisited
- WineTrails of Walla Walla is Here!
- Wines of the World
- WineTrails Gift Baskets on the Horizon
- Hat's off to Evening Mag!
- Hey, Did You Know...
- Evening Magazine Appearance -- Wed, Oct 13, 7 pm
- WineTrails of Walla Walla -- This Baby is Kicking
- Yakima Valley Here I Come Again!
- Italy Still On My Mind
- On to Yakima Valley
- Italian Wine Touring - Get to Know the Whole Family
- Goodbye Italy..Ciao Ciao
- Mas de la Lionne - Paradise Found
- Europe ... here we come!
- Facebook Video
- Weird Tasting Rooms
- Bend Newspaper Highlights WT of Oregon
- Back from Savor Idaho
- Camaraderie Cellars Bound!
- Working on Walla Walla Book--Furiously!
- New Website -- What do you Think?
- See you at Taste Washington 2010!
- Working on Walla Walla!
- WineTrails of Idaho -- At The Press!
- A Thief in Woodinville: Boycott Fortunato's
- I'm Getting Hitched!
- I am off to PNBA! What's PNBA? you ask -- posted 9/6/2009
- WineTrails of Idaho -- I've Seen the Cover!
- I Woke Up in Chelan!
- WineTrails of Idaho -- Completing the Trilogy
- WineTrails of Oregon - Houston we have lift off!
- WineTrails of Oregon -- Ready for shipment (almost)
- WineTrails of Oregon Goes Into Labor!
- I am head down working on Oregon book!
- Rogue Valley Wine Country -- 100 degees and Delicious!